Looking for a Grab Bar for your bathroom? Here are The 5 Best Grab Bars for Seniors In 2022. I examine the pros and cons of each Grab Bar.
You have the opportunity to help an elderly person! Who needs urgent help or prevent a senior from falling. The best grab bars are an inexpensive way to do this. Do not let these opportunities go by.
As a senior bathroom aid product, grab bars create safety in the bathroom. It allows you to hold onto your balance while showering or using the toilet. Learn more below.
Grab Bar Comparisons At A Glance
|Click On Picture For Latest Prices|
|Moen Peened Grab Bar||Amazon Grab Bar||Standler Pole & Grab Bar||Changing Lifestlyes Grab Bar||Drive Medical Grab Bar|
|Institutional Quality Design/Construction||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Returnable Once Open||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Weight Lbs.||1 lbs.||2.16 lbs.||20 lbs.||12 oz||6.4 oz|
|Holding Weight Lbs.||500||500||400||250|
|Price||$15||$12.99 to $28.98||$159||$11.32||$23.98|
|Total Number of Reviews||527||236||635||2350||900|
|% of Good Reviews||96%||96%||89%||71%||59%|
|See A Detailed Review||Review||Review||Review||Review||Review|
What Are Grab Bars?
Grab bars keep people safe. They help people with a variety of disabilities or mobility difficulties. Grab bars prevent falling and slipping in your bathroom.
They can also help around the toilet to help get you up and down from the toilet. Grab bars must bear high loads and sudden impacts.
Some connect to masonry walls or to the studs in the walls. You can mount them through the drywall into a strong wooden wall stud or other structural members, but not mounted only on the drywall, as it will not bear the person‘s weight. There are also temporary solutions and solutions not near a wall. It is not possible to prevent every accident. However, by installing grab bars in your tub or shower, you will reduce the chances that someone in your home will fall and get hurt.
Who Is A Grab Bar For?
- Grab bars are good for everyone in the family but are important to us seniors. The damage is much more severe for us. You can use a grab bar vertically in a shower when standing. They can be used horizontally to help you out of a tub. You can use them on an angle so they can help other family members as well. You can also use a grab bar near the toilet to help you get up and down. You can have a long-term solution and for someone who needs a highly reliable and sturdy way to prevent having an accident in the bathroom that could have serious consequences. There are grab bars for travelers and people with short surgical recoveries. This device is also suitable for apartment dwellers who cannot drill into the bathroom tiles; forbidden by their landlords. If someone is fragile and can get hurt, look for a permanent bar anchored into the wall. This does not prohibit longer use, but just be more careful. Also, it fits a short-term solution, and for someone who needs a reliable and sturdy way to prevent having an accident in the bathroom that could have serious consequences.
- The biggest opportunity is to help your family members is before they fall.
- According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- One in four Americans aged 65+ falls each year.
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is in the emergency room for a fall; every 19 minutes, an older adult die from a fall.
- Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury and the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults.
- Each year falls result in more than 2.8 million injuries treated in emergency departments, including over 800,000 hospitalizations and more than 27,000 deaths.
- In 2015, the total cost of fall injuries was $50 billion. Medicare and Medicaid shouldered 75% of these costs.
- Expect the financial toll for older adults falling to increase as the population ages and may reach $67.7 billion by 2020
- These statistics will climb higher, considering our longer lifespan, You can start by finding out what your risk of falling is to take the Dynamic Gait Index. Click here to check it out. Then look over the other bathroom safety ideas by clicking here.
- According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
Different Types of Grab Bars.
It is important to understand the different types of grab bars.
- There are grab bars that mount to wall studs. These are permanent solutions. They are the most secure and safe of all the grab bars, and you can see them in commercial bathrooms.
- There is a suction-type grab bar that you cannot mount on a wall. This could be in an apartment where you are not allowed to screw into the walls, or when you travel for similar reasons. They are not as secure as the permanently mounted grab bars and do not work on all surfaces, so check it out first, but if does work they are an excellent solution. You can place them in different locations.
- Sometimes there are no walls available. A ceiling floor pole is the other type of grab bar. They can work in the bathroom or any other place in the house.
What Are The Major Considerations For Grab Bars?
- Installation Is Critical
There are many considerations when deciding which grab bar to use and how best to install it. Securing a grab bar is important so that it does not pull out of the wall when you apply pressure. Each installation should connect to wall blocking or studs to provide the best support. If no studs are available, specialized mollies fasteners or WingIt fasteners are available. The most important aspect of the grab bar that you choose is how to install them in your shower. There are two kinds of installations you have to look forward to. The first is an installation by a suction cup. These grab bars are a quick install and the suction cups that they used to provide a surprising amount of stability thanks in large part to their size and the use of levers to create extra force. The other option is to install your shower grab bar by screwing it into the wall itself. Depending on the construction of your bathroom, this could prove to be a more complicated process than you have the time or patience to execute. However, wall-mounted grab bars will provide the most reliable stability over the longest period of time.
- You Need Regular Check-Ups
- On a regular basis check to see if these grab bars can support you before using.
- Click Here For Detailed Environment Considerations
Additional Resources To Help You.
Grab Bar Decision Guide: General information about grab bars.
Environmental Considerations: Environment items you must consider.
Dynamic Gait Index: How to figure out your tendency to fall.
CDC Fall Statistics: What are your risks for falling.
Understanding Reviews: What you need to know about reviews.
General Bathroom Safety For Seniors: Discussions on how to get to a safe bathroom.
Below Is A Summary For Each Grab Bar.
#1 Summary Review for the Moen Peened Stainless Grab Bar
- Professional Grade: Stainless steel grab bar with a peened finish for non-slipping. Also, with a concealed screw cover to make it appear better.
- Quick Assembly: It will require a professional to assembly unless you are a family member skilled at this. Call customer service with regards to the installation Click here for a warranty and company information.
- Robust: Moen is a company in long-standing, and the majority of reviewers see it as sturdy. It complies with the ADA standards for disabled people. Average Customer Amazon Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars Amazon reviews.
- Color: Stainless steel with a peened finish for a better non-slip grip. There are other finishes. Read the cons below with some problems with the brass finish.
- Strong Material: They are made from 20-gauge stainless steel. And it is corrosion resistant
- Weight Capacity: It can support up to 500 lbs. This is also dependent on the quality of the installation. Mounting the into the wall studs being the most secure.
- Product dimension: 12, 18, 24, 30, 32 -inch models.
- Installation: The installation is critical and more important than any other aspect of this product to be safe. You can call customer service and get clear on how this has to be done or hire a professional. At the end of this post is an installation video you can get an idea f what they need to do.
- Warranty: Click here for a warranty and company information.
Take a Look at the Moen Peened Stainless Grab Bar
#2 Summary Review For Amazon Basics Bathroom Handicap Grab Bar
Company: Amazon Basics Bathroom Handicap Grab Bar
Price: $12.99 to $28.99.
- Professional Grade: Stainless steel and ADA (Americans with Disability Act) compliant.
- Model Number: GBAR-125-42
- Easy Cleaning: Easy
- Assembly: Depends on your expertise in mounting in drywall or hire someone.
- Robust: Brushed finish for a stronger grip, Strong and Durable, Corrosion-Resistant Stainless Steel.
- Independence: This grab bar gives you independence and dignity by allowing you to manage by yourself.
- Color: Shiny Stainless Steel.
- Durable Material: lasting Stainless steel and corrosion resistant.
- Weight: 2.16 pounds.
- Weight Capacity: 500 lbs.
- Return Policy and Warranty: 1 year.
- Product Dimension: 45 x 2.8 x 3 inches for the 42-inch model.
- Models: 12, 16, 18, 24, 30, 32, 36, 42, 48
- Price Range: from the smallest model to the largest model – $12.99 to $28.99. This is a few dollars less expensive than other equivalent products.
Take a Look at the Amazon Basics Bathroom Handicap Grab Bar
#3 Summary Review For The Stander Security Pole & Curve Grab Bar
Company: The Stander Security Pole & Curve Grab Bar
- The Security Pole & Curve Grab Bar installs without the use of screws or drills. By tightening the pole with the included wrench, tension is formed to hold the pole in place between the floor and ceiling. Due to its unique tension-mounted design, this pole can be placed nearly anywhere in the home. The Security Pole is installed on ceilings ranging from 7-10 feet, but cannot be placed on slanted ceilings
- Materials: Rust resistant zinc plated steel with durable powder coat finish.
- Model Number 1100-W.
- Easy Cleaning: Wipe down using a mild soap or disinfectant.
- Assembly: Easy to assemble and install. There are four parts and a wrench. There is also a bag of screws if you need or want to mount it to the floor and ceiling permanently. There are also YouTube videos. See below. To read more click on the stander manual.
- Rotates & Locks: By pulling the locking knob, the curve grab bar rotates 360° and locks into place every 45° in eight positions. This allows the user to place the pole in central locations and use the curved grab bar from multiple positions.
- Tension-Mounted: The tension-mounted design allows you to put the Security Pole anywhere in your home without making marks. Screws are included to secure the pole to the floor and ceiling if you want to permanently install the pole in your home but is not required.
- Ergonomic Ladder Grip: The ergonomic ladder grip allows users to pull themselves up using a comfortable hand-over-hand motion.
- Adjustability: Height adjustable to fit flat ceilings from 7-10 feet.
- Independence: This allows people to be more independent in the bathroom, bedroom, or any other place in the house.
- Color: Iceberg White or Metallic Black
- Weight: 20 lbs.
- Weight Capacity: Holds up to 300 lbs.
- Return Policy and Warranty: See the company information and warranties.
- Product Dimension:
- 13 x 1.2 inches
- Grab Bar width 9”
#4 Summary Review For Changing Lifestyles Safer-Grip 17″ Grab Bar
- Professional Grade: Plastic with a rough grip section and a wide handle for better comfort and balance
- Quick Assembly: No assembly is required.
- Color: Ghost White with Gray Accents
- Robust: Dual locking suction cups.
- Strong Material: Made from a strong plastic
- Weight 12 ounces.
- Weight Capacity: It can support up to 250 lbs. I recommend not hanging your entire body weight on the bar.
- Product dimension: 16.5 x 4 x 3.8 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Click here for the detailed company info and return policies
Take a Look at the Changing Lifestyles Safer-Grip 17″ Grab Bar
#5 Summary Review For Drive Medical Grab Bar
Company: Moen Transfer Bench
- Professional Grade: Plastic with rough grip section and a wide handle for better comfort and balance
- Quick Assembly: No assembly required.
- Robust: Dual locking suction cups with green and red indicator to lock it.
- Strong Material: Made from a strong plastic
- Weight 6.4 ounces. Weight Capacity: It can support up to 250 lbs. I recommend not to hang your entire body weight on the bar.
- Product dimension: 12″ (L) x 4″(W) x 3.75″(H);
- Warranty and Return Policy: Click here for the detail company info and return policies
Take a Look at the Drive Medical Grab Bar
In conclusion, the five best grab bars provide solutions to help seniors in urgent need and an alternative to falling prevention. Choose which grab bar fits all your requirements. Call if you need any clarification.
I commit to making this website better and better each day.
I would appreciate your frank comments -either good or bad.
I would like to remind you that I will do a review of a product of your choice.