Hello, it’s Ed here. As a senior myself and someone who has dedicated his life to helping the elderly, I understand the importance of safety and preparedness in the home. Today, I’m going to share my insights on a product that could significantly enhance safety for seniors – fire extinguishers. This review will delve into the features, benefits, and drawbacks of the top three fire extinguishers for seniors in 2023. But why should you trust my review? Well, I’ve spent years coaching individuals and businesses to higher levels of development, and now I’m using that knowledge to help seniors maintain their independence and safety. So, let’s dive in and explore how these fire extinguishers could be the key to a safer home.
Fire Extinguishers Can Save A Senior’s Life.
Please, Don’t Let This Happen To You!
Fires can kill or damage a house or a life. Fire extinguishers are needed to protect seniors.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), someone in the United States dies in a house fire every three hours, averaging approximately 3,000 deaths each year. Arm yourself with the right equipment to help prevent a small, self-contained fire from spreading out of control.
When we talk about home safety, a small investment can yield large returns. That small investment is a fire extinguisher. Fire extinguishers are among the items we should all own, but never want to use.
The Best Fire Extinguishers For Seniors
If you’re in a hurry, here are links to our favorite Best ABC Fire Extinguishers For Seniors. We go into more detail about why we like them later on in this article.
Best Fire Extinguishers
For Seniors At A Glance
#1. Amerex B500, 5lb ABC Dry Chemical Class A B C Fire Extinguisher
Amerex B500, 5lb ABC Dry Chemical Class A B C Fire Extinguisher
- Amerex B500, 5lb ABC Dry Chemical Class A B C Fire Extinguisher (2) 2A10BC Rating Includes wall bracket.
- ABC or Multi-Purpose extinguishers utilize a specially fluidized and siliconized mono ammonium phosphate dry chemical. It chemically insulates Class A fires by melting at approximately 350°F and coats the surface to which it is applied. It smothers and breaks the chain reaction of Class B fires and will not conduct electricity back to the operator.
Pros For Amerex B500, 5lb ABC Dry Chemical Class A B C Fire Extinguisher
- Easy To Use
- Easy Access
- Top Quality
- Commercial Grade
Cons For Amerex B500, 5lb ABC Dry Chemical Class A B C Fire Extinguisher
- Some Said Expensive But Worth It
- Some Said They Arrived Defective.
- Some Said They Arrived Uncharged
Where to Place Your Fire Extinguishers
Point Of Interest
- Living area – For your main home protection, install a living area unit on every level of your home, no more than 40 feet apart.
- Garage/Workshop – Due to the volumes of flammable liquids in the garage, you should install a higher-rated unit such as the 3-A:40B-C Garage/Workshop unit.
#2. Kidde 21005779 Pro 210 Fire Extinguisher
Kidde 21005779 Pro 210 Fire Extinguisher, ABC, 160CI, 4 lbs, 1 Pack
- Multipurpose protection: Fights Class A, B, and C fires and is UL rated 2-A:10-B:C.
- Easy to read: The gauge tells you when the fire extinguisher is charged and ready for use.
- Lightweight: Durable corrosion-resistant aluminum cylinder.
- Clear instruction label: This shows the steps required to operate the extinguisher.
- Quick and powerful: Discharge time of 13 to 15 seconds, a discharge range of 10 to 15 feet, and operating pressure of 100 PSI.
- Multipurpose dry chemical; Fights all types of fire (trash, wood, paper, liquids, electrical equipment).
- The pressure gauge allows for an immediate pressure status check
Pros For Kidde 21005779 Pro 210 Fire Extinguisher
- Gives Peace Of Mind
- Easy To Use.
- Great Quality
- Great Price
Cons For Kidde 21005779 Pro 210 Fire Extinguisher
- Some Said They Arrived Discharged.
- Some Said The Quality Was Off.
- Some Said It Was Disposable and Not Rechargeable
#3. First Alert 1038789 Standard Home Fire Extinguisher,
First Alert 1038789 Standard Home Fire Extinguisher,
- First alert’s home1 fire extinguisher is UL rated 1 A: 10 B: C; it features durable all-metal construction with a commercial-grade metal valve and triggers.
- Multipurpose fire extinguisher fights wood, paper, trash, plastics, gasoline, oil, and electrical equipment fires.
- Use mono ammonium phosphate extinguishing agent; Rechargeable by certified professionals after use.
- Metal pull pin with a safety seal to help prevent accidental discharge and tampering; Corrosion-resistant, easy-to-read, color-coded metal gauge; Waterproof label with easy instructions.
- U.S. coast guard approved for marine use.
- First Alert has been the most trusted brand in home safety since launching the first residential smoke alarm in 1958 (Based on a First Alert brand trust survey in February 2018)
Pros For First Alert 1038789 Standard Home Fire Extinguisher
- Very Easy To Operate
- Worked Well On A Kitchen Fire
- Recommended By Consumer Reports
- Gives Peace Of Mind
- Small Enough For A Senior To Handle
Cons For First Alert 1038789 Standard Home Fire Extinguisher
- Some Said It Arrived Defective
- Some Said Not Eligible For A Return
- Some Said It Arrived Uncharged
In conclusion, the fire extinguishers I’ve reviewed today are all products I highly recommend for specific applications. They’re not just about the features they offer, but the peace of mind they can provide in seniors’ lives. Remember, our loved ones’ safety is paramount, and these fire extinguishers could be a significant step toward ensuring a safer home. However, always review your decision with your doctor or other health care professional. Their personal knowledge of your unique health situation is valuable. As for me, I’ll continue to explore and review products that can make a difference in the lives of seniors. After all, safety and independence are only a fire extinguisher away.
Kidde 21005779 Pro 210 Fire Extinguisher is a close runner-up if you want to pay extra for a product.
First Alert Standard Home Fire Extinguisher is a budget which is a little less expensive.
So we hope that helps to narrow down some of the best fire extinguishers available. We’ll continue to monitor any new units that come out and add to this post if we see any that look promising.
Let us know which one you go for!